Financial Provision for a Child

If a child lives with one parent for more time than they spend with other, then the “non-resident” parent is obliged to pay child maintenance to the other parent. Many cases are governed by the Child Maintenance Service and there is a formula which sets out how much the child maintenance should be. This formula takes into account the paying parent’s income and the amount of time the child spends with each parent.

Where there are special circumstances or the paying parent’s income exceeds the maximum threshold for a Child Maintenance Service calculation, the court has the power to consider the appropriate level of child maintenance. We can guide you through the process of assessing child maintenance and advise you as to whether the court will have the ability to look at maintenance in your circumstances.

Housing and lump sums

It is possible to make a claim for a lump sum in order to provide stable housing for a child.